Cockerell Dermatopathology’s primary focus is to quickly deliver definitive diagnoses all while providing unparalleled support services to you and your staff. To learn about our consultative dermatopathology services, contact us to discuss ways we can partner to meet and exceed your diagnostic and practice needs.
- Diagnostic services encompassing all dermatologic related disorders
- Peer to peer consultative discussions for any cases of concern
- Daily internal diagnostic conferences with multiple dermatopathologists reviewing each difficult case
- Telephonic reporting of all melanomas and other time sensitive diagnoses
- Clinicopathologic correlation and treatment recommendations available upon request
- Report delivery within 48 hours on routine cases via courier, internet portal, fax or EHR connectivity
- In-house IT team to develop and support EMR order and result interfaces/connectivity
- Comprehensive in-house test menu to assist in rendering a definitive diagnosis including special stains, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence and fungal testing by PAS or culture
- Appropriate use of special stains, immunohistochemistry and esoteric testing when formulating diagnoses on difficult cases
- Professional courier network for specimen pickup, as well as air-courier service for overnight delivery of specimens for remote clinicians
- Online patient education and pamphlets to keep your patients best informed
- Slide preparation for clinicians that either read their own slides or have hired a pathologist
- Professional interpretation for practices that produce their own slides
- Patient appointments for clinical secondary opinions
- Quality assurance of Mohs micrographic surgery sections
- Educational seminars to stay abreast of dermatologic trends
Expert Consultations / Second Opinions
We provide expert diagnostic and therapeutic opinions for physicians focused on treating dermatologic disorders, dermatopathologists, pathologists, hospitals and concerned patients.
Our expertise includes rendering diagnoses in difficult cases as well as confirming of diagnoses where the original opinion may be uncertain. While many of our opinions relate to melanocytic neoplasia, we evaluate specimens taken from the entire spectrum of inflammatory and neoplastic diseases of the skin, hair, nails and mucous membranes. Our reports, typically provided within 48 hours, are designed to provide you with the best diagnosis possible and therapeutic opinions are provided upon request.
If you are a dermatologist and interpret your own patient’s slides, Dr. Cockerell can assist you and your practice in many ways. If there is a particular disorder or group of conditions that you do not feel comfortable diagnosing, such as melanocytic lesions, you can submit these specimens for processing and interpretation or for professional interpretation only. Additionally, Cockerell Dermatopathology can provide professional support during the high-specimen-volume months of the year. Contact us to discuss the best support options for you and your practice.
Our Dermatopathology services include in-house direct immunofluorescence to support your diagnostic needs when it comes to treating your patients with autoimmune and inflammatory disorders.
Molecular & Advanced Testing
Cockerell Dermatopathology has developed diagnostic partnerships with industry-leading organizations to provide access to dermatologic-based esoteric testing. Such testing includes but is not limited to:
- T&B cell gene rearrangement studies
- FISH and CGH testing for difficult melanocytic lesions
- BRAF testing for patients diagnosed with metastatic melanoma